Monday, May 9, 2016

I'm so far away from everything I know...

Which is exactly why I'm here. Bonjour from Toulouse :)

I figured I was leaving Lyon since I'd already been there for 4 transfers (about 6 months), but didn't have a clue where I was going. However, the Lord did! I don't have a ton of time, but I'm doing well.

Before I get into that, CONGRATULATIONS to my little sister Candace who got baptized on Saturday! She got baptized the same day as our amie in Lyon, now one of the newest members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints :) It was so fun to see everyone's smiling faces on Sunday when we skyped, even though it was early in the morning where you are. I love my family! Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there!

Our train from Lyon was delayed half an hour, so I didn't have time to go running around Montpellier (or even grab lunch there) like I'd hoped, but we did make it onto the train to Toulouse just fine. It was crazy once we passed Valence since I knew every second I was heading further and further south than I've ever been in the mission. We went through Nîmes, Montpellier, Béziers, Narbonne, and Carcassonne before arriving here. My new collègue is Elder Péron from Calais (way up in the north of France), and yes he speaks English. Still, definitely going to be improving my French this transfer! I'll keep up the Chinese as much as possible by working with the Chinese amis and members and random people on the street where I can, but they're mostly in the Capitole sector and we're assigned to Concorde, on the other side of the river. For further clarification, shoot me an email. This transfer's assignment is a little complicated :P

The baptême on Saturday was really really good! Our amie wanted me to do most of the planning for it for some reason (Elder Pien and Zhu practically weren't allowed to help), and I can tell you I learned that there's a lot more to it than just showing up and filling the font. The mission is a good training ground for life, I'm trying to take advantage of it! I'll send pictures in just a minute.

For my spiritual-type thought, I'd like to talk a bit about the Book of Mormon. I finished it this past week (in English, now I'm restarting in French) and during the past few months as I've been reading it, I've been finding a bunch of stuff that I swear I've never seen before. For example, Alma 46:40: "And there were some who died with fevers, which at some seasons of the year were very frequent in the land—but not so much so with fevers, because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared to remove the cause of diseases, to which men were subject by the nature of the climate—" I found that scripture really interesting, not in a spiritual sense per se, but just because I don't remember ever reading that little fact or hearing about it before. The more you read the more you'll find those little nuggets, whether they be just good advice or the thing you really needed to hear to make it through the day. I know the scripture are true! They come through prophets from God so that we'll know what we should do to return to Him, and so we'll always have His words with us wherever we go.

Je vous aime!

No comments:

Post a Comment