Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Pardon my lateness

Yesterday we were helping some members move (actually the sister and brother-in-law of a dude I knew in St. Genis way back when) and it took longer than we thought, so that's why we're writing emails today. But a bunch of stuff has happened since then!

First of all, Happy Birthday Dad!! Sorry it's a little late coming, but here it is anyway :)

Second of all, I got to see the inside of the Capitole Elders' apartment and it's super cool. There were Chinese things and it made me happy. On Tuesday night, Elder Peron and I slept over at their place and got up at 4:15 amto get ready and catch our 6:11 am train to Zone Conference...

...in Bordeaux :) I finally made it out west! However, we ended up being late to the conference because only two of the six people in our little band of travelers had been to Bordeaux before, and it was only once. Therefore, we got lost and couldn't find the chapel until almost half an hour after the conference started. Whoops.

I got to see Elder Bleak at the conference! He's been in Lormont for the past four transfers and will be going home in less than two weeks :'( However, it comes full circle because, if the records we've received are correct, the next Chinese Elder to arrive in our mission reported to the MTC on the same day as the conference! :D

We were sad to hear about the attack that happened in Nice. To our knowledge no missionaries or members were hurt, which is nice to know especially for those who know the members and missionaries down there (for example my last collègue Elder Zhu). More on this later...

On Saturday we had Samedi Sportif, which is when we try to get young adults (or anyone who wants) and our amis to come play basketball, soccer, volleyball, anything to help newcomers make friends. Not many people showed up, but we talked to some people at church on Sunday who said they would come next week. After that we got lunch at a burger place that didn't cook the meat all the way through (i.e. practically didn't cook it) because apparently you don't need to. Who knew.

This Friday is my birthday! Super crazy to remember that my 19th birthday was in the MTC and we celebrated with chips and salsa and Q-tips spelling out "Happy Birthday" on the ground. Here I am about to celebrate my 20th birthday (finally a legal adult in Japan) and I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm sure it'll be the best birthday ever though :)

* * * * * * * * * * *
...my little thought today is a little more about the attack in Nice. With the relatively recent events in Paris, Brussels, and now Nice, it's easy to see how opposed Satan is to this work. A lot of people here and around the world question, "If God is so loving, why does he allow this kind of thing to happen?" I can't help but think that the devil himself is trying to take the French people as far away from God as possible so that next year, when the Paris temple is dedicated, practically no one will enter in. I want to promise you all that IT WON'T WORK! Allow me to share this scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants, section 76, verse 3:

"His purposes fail not, neither are there any who can stay his hand."

Have a great week :)

我爱你们!

No comments:

Post a Comment